By Christine G. Adamo
Are you considering breast augmentation
? Would you be interested in natural breast enlargement alternatives?
If you’re mostly happy with the size of your breasts but would be happier if they were slightly larger, then fat grafting breast augmentation may be right for you. If an increase of one or two cup sizes will do the trick, fat transfer alternatives may offer just what you’re looking for.
This method of breast enlargement is known by a slew of names. The most common are:
- Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation
- Lipotransfer Breast Augmentation
- Natural Breast Augmentation
- Autologous Fat Grafting
As with any cosmetic plastic surgery procedure, if this is a topic you’re interested in, we suggest you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon
who is experienced in fat grafting breast augmentation.
What is Fat Grafting Breast Augmentation?
While the term fat grafting breast augmentation may be a mouthful, the concept itself isn’t too difficult to understand. The best way to figure out exactly what it means is to break it down into the essential phrases:
- Fat Grafting – taking fat cells from one area of the body and transferring them to another (ex: from butt to breasts).
- Breast Augmentation – (augmentation mammoplasty) the process of enlarging the breasts
Fat grafting breast augmentation is the natural breast enhancement alternative to silicone or saline breast implants
. That’s because natural tissue from your own body (fat cells) are used to augment or reconstruct the breasts.
How Well Does it Work?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, “the idea of breast fat transfer is not new”. The ASPS goes on to say that the concept has received added attention in recent years because a number of plastic surgeons, researchers and patients have found success with this method of breast enhancement.
Early on, plastic surgeons and researchers found it discouraging that transplanted fat cells were shown to have low survival rates. However, the ASPS recently released data from a study published in the medical journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery® showing that over time new advances have emerged that have made fat cell transfer increasingly successful in giving women larger breasts with lasting results.
In April of 2012, the ASPS suggested that better results were gained when external breast tissue was expanded before fat was transferred or injected from other areas of the body. The success of the process, referred to by the ASPS as “pre-expansion”, was noted in the study mentioned earlier.
Researchers found that by giving fat cells more room to move around, they lived and thrived for longer periods of time. Additionally, it allowed a greater number of fat cells to be injected into the breasts for an increase in volume of up to 2 cup sizes.
The test cases went like this:
- 81 women participated in a case study
- 10 participated in the fat transfer process only
- 71 wore a “suction-pump bra device” before fat transfer
- Those 71 also wore the device for 1+ week after fat transfer
The results? Women wearing pre-expansion devices before and after transfer had fat cell survival rates of 80 percent. The ASPS also notes that their “breast volume … increased by an average of about 230 cc” or 8 fl. oz. Previously, increasing women’s breast sizes by fat transplant alone added an average of 130cc of volume and their fat cells had survival rate of 55%.
What Fat Grafting Can and Can’t Do for You
Fat grafting breast enhancement CAN do several things for your body that mimic or differ from(*) what breast augmentation with implants
- Increase breast size
- Compliment breast reconstruction http://www.implantinfo.com/breast_reconstruction/index.aspx
- Give breasts a 100% natural-tissue feel*
- Improve your appearance in and out of clothes
- Add volume to slightly droopy or saggy breasts
- Make you feel sexier, more confident and less self-conscious
- Achieve results in a single, outpatient procedure without incisions*
Things fat grafting breast augmentation typically CAN’T do include:
- Increase breast size by more than 1 to 2 cups
- Achieve the same level of symmetry as breast implants
- Counteract severe breast droop or sag without a breast lift
…and this is why: fat cells are typically transferred in small quantities, their survival isn’t guaranteed and – because they don’t add quite as much volume – a breast lift may also be recommended.
To expand or not to expand? That’s a question only you – with help from your plastic surgeon – can answer. So, here’s an easier one: What do you think about fat grafting breast augmentation? Share your opinion with other women on our ImplantInfo discussion boards